Our group is committed to ensuring that all business processes are carried out under conditions that minimise environmental impact.
Sustainability and Environment
‘Sustainable development – Development which meets the needs of current generations without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.’
— World Commission on Environment and Development, 1987
Starting with this fundamental concept, the Argos Surface Technologies Group expresses its desire to guarantee continuous improvement in its environmental standards by obtaining and maintaining its UNI EN ISO 14001 certification.
While always maintaining high quality standards, the Argos Surface Technologies Group ensures that all its business process are conducted to minimize the environmental impacts of different aspects:
- Following methods to eliminate or at least reduce the environmental impacts generated and related costs;
- Managing its processes in compliance with current standards and laws on environmental matters, with particular reference to Integrated Environmental Authorizations for its sites in Cambiago (MI), Calcio (BG), and Opera (MI), and Single Environmental Authorizations for its sites in Valsamoggia/Monteveglio (BO) and Origgio (VA);
- Reducing environmental pollution;
- Minimizing the consumption of raw materials and natural/energy resources, which is extremely important today;
- Minimizing the production of wastewater, emissions, and waste, treating the latter safely and responsibly;
- Managing possible customer complaints and anomalies in environmental matters, thoroughly analysing the causes with their consequent reduction over time;
- Educating, informing, and training internal personnel and collaborators on issues relating to their own expertise, in order to increase their involvement and awareness of their position.
At the Cambiago (MI) plant, one of the largest in Europe for electroless nickel plating and where the general Group headquarters are located, 2 pellet cogeneration plants were installed, generating 180 kW of electricity and 250 kW of thermal energy, along with multiple photovoltaic systems capable of supplying a total of 620 kW.
Since 2018, the Origgio (VA) plant has had a photovoltaic system equipped with 138 panels capable of generating a total power of 37.95 kWp.
Following installation of the system, the Origgio site has avoided the emission of 18,000 kg of CO2 per year, equivalent to more than 500 trees planted annually.
At the Calcio (BG) site, the photovoltaic system, in operation since 2011, can generate a total power of 150 kWp.
Since its installation, about 150,000 kW has been produced each year, about 70% of which is self-consumed.
Finally, the Imola (BO) site is equipped with two photovoltaic systems for a total of 126.90 kW and a cogeneration plant of 50 kW.
Emissions Abatement Systems
All Argos production sites have emissions abatement systems aimed at reducing the amount of hazardous pollutants emitted into the atmosphere.
They work through a system of filters capable of drastically reducing the amount of hazardous pollutants (COV) deriving from production processes, bringing them to within regulatory limits.
The purpose of the purification plants at the Opera (MI) and Gonzaga (MN) sites is to purify industrial wastewater, bringing it in line with the parameters of air pollution laws.
The purification treatment consists of various stages in which undesired substances are removed from the wastewater and concentrated in the form of sludge, yielding an effluent whose properties are in line with legal criteria.
Last but not least, at some sites, for example, in Calcio, the ‘zero landfill‘ policy was chosen, wherein each type of waste is treated and reduced with respect to the amount sent for disposal through specialized companies with the right authorization and licences.
Click here to download all the certifications held by each Argos ST plant.